About Pugin > English buildings
We present here a selection of Pugin's English buildings.
They are listed alphabetically by County and then by city/town/village.
St Peter's Church, St Peter Street. Designed 1845, constructed 1845-46 by George Myers. Small church with north aisle, spire against aisle west front, separately expressed chancel, Lady chapel east of north aisle, south porch and sacristy against Lady chapel north wall. Substantial fan-shaped extension by Francis Pollen contiguous with chancel east wall constructed 1969-70, with access from old church via gutted Lady chapel through removal of its east wall. Rood screen intact and in situ.
Image: Brian Andrews
St Alban's Church, cnr Chester Road and Langford Street. Designed 1838, constructed 1839-41. Tall aisled and clerestoried church with six-bay nave, two-bay separately expressed chancel, sacristy against chancel north wall, south porch and central west tower. Belfry stage of tower not constructed. Rood screen intact and in situ.
Our Lady and St Wilfrid's Church, on the A69. Designed 1840, constructed 1841 by George Myers. Small two-compartment church with western bellcote, south porch and sacristry against chancel south wall. Sacristy extended later to the south. Rood screen intact and in situ.
St Mary's Church, St Alkmund's Way. Designed 1837-38, constructed 1838-39 by George Myers. As built, an aisled clerestoried church with central west tower, apsidal chancel and sacristies against the chancel north and south walls. Extensions and alterations of 1855 by Edward Welby Pugin comprising demolition of the north sacristy and construction of a large rectangular Lady chapel abutting the north aisle east end and the chancel north wall, construction of new sacristies against the apse and conversion of the south sacristy into a chapel.
Image: Brian Andrews.
St Mary's Church, cnr Norton Rd and Major St. Designed 1841. Ground set out by Pugin May 1841. Nave only completed to his design and opened in 1842. Original design for nave with separately articulated chancel, north aisle, north-west chapel and sacristy, south porch and north-west steeple. Building completed over decades to different designs by other hands. Little remains of original Pugin work other than nave facade.
Image: Brian Andrews
Image: Brian Andrews
Former St Wilfrid's Church, St Wilfrid's Street. Designed 1839, constructed 1839-42 by George Myers. Aisled clerestoried brick church with separately expressed chancel, eastern chapels, north-west steeple (upper stages not constructed) and sacristy against chancel south wall. Closed and deconsecrated in late 1990, now housing the St Wilfrid's Enterprise Centre, a commercial entity operated by Firmstart Pty Ltd, the internal alterations being reversible.
St Augustine's Church, St Augustine's Road. Designed by Pugin from 1844, a continuous process until his death in 1844, constructed 1844-52 by George Myers. Asymmetrical plan with nave, crossing tower, chancel, south porch, south aisle, south-east Lady Chapel and south transept, the latter with chantry chapel. A cloister to the north with two chapels on the south side of the north walk and sacristies on east side of the east walk. The later cloister north and west walks attributed to Edward Welby Pugin, as also St John the Evangelist's Chapel. St Joseph's Chapel attributed to Peter Paul Pugin. The intended spire not constructed. Church open on Sundays between 2pm and 4pm.
St John the Evangelist's Church, Ribby Road. Designed 1842 through 1844, completed 1845 with George Myers as builder. Aisled clerestoried church with central western tower and spire, south porch and sacristy against north side east end. In 1895-6 the sacristy was altered and extended, the floor lowered by about 2 feet and the rood screen dismantled, the latter re-erected without rood group as part of a new west choir gallery. The rood group was suspended from the easternmost nave truss. Pugin's lectern pulpit demolished c.1906. Normally open during daylight hours.
Ratcliffe on the Wreake
Ratcliffe College, off the A46 north of Ratcliffe on the Wreake. Pugin's design dated 1843-4, based on his rejected Balliol College, Oxford, design. East range constructed by George Myers between 1843 and 1849. South and north ranges by Charles Hansom in Pugin's manner constructed 1854 and 1858-9 respectively. West, or Study, range by Edward Pugin between 1862 and 1867. This range included a large chapel, no longer used as such, replacing A.W.N. Pugin's chapel at the north end of the east range.
Former St Winefride's Church, corner Pick Street and Brooke Street. Designed 1841, constructed 1842 by George Myers. Small aisled church, the nave, aisles and chancel under one roof, with bellcote, sacristy against south aisle east end and north porch. Basement originally designed as school room. Closed as church in 1928 when larger church opened in Charnwood Road. Since 1985 a private residence and engineering consultancy.
Mount St Bernard Abbey, Oaks Road, east of Whitwick. Designed 1840, with further design work through to c.1850, constructed 1841 through to c.1850, but only the monastic nave of Pugin's abbey church completed. New octagonal chapter house in 1860 by E.W. Pugin who also added bellcote to guest house. Clock tower of 1870-71 by E.W. Pugin. Additions to abbey church including crossing tower and lay nave of 1934-39 by Albert Herbert. Church open daily.
Former cemetery chapel, Cadogan Street. Designed and constructed 1845. Single cell building with eastern bellcote. Incorporated into John Francis Bentley's St Mary's Church, Cadogan Street, of 1877-79 as south east chapel. Altar modified to become St Thomas More's altar. St Mary's Church is open daily but access is confined to west end of nave.
St Thomas of Canterbury's Church, Rylston Road. Designed 1847, constructed 1847-48 by George Myers. Triple-gabled building with north-west tower and spire. Re-ordered 1967-69. Extensive restoration, including new Puginesque decoration, completed 2006. Open daily.
Image: Brian Andrews
St Peter's Church, Woolwich New Road. Designed 1842, constructed 1842-43 by George Myers. Aisled building with six-bay nave, separately expressed chancel, north-east Lady Chapel and south porch entrance in base of intended south-west steeple. Steeple not built. Chancel and south-east chapel added in 1889 to design of Frederick Walters who moved Pugin's east window into new chancel east wall and re-used the Pugin high altar, but reredos dates from 1892.
St Barnabas' Cathedral, Derby Road. Designed 1842, constructed 1841-44 by George Myers. Became cathedral 1850. Aisled clerestoried cruciform building with crossing tower and spire, eastern chapels and crypt. Pugin's rood screen and high altar removed from chancel and new altar installed first decade c.20. A further new high altar with tester and a rood beam with new figures, all by Frederick Walters, installed in chancel c.1927. Blessed Sacrament Chapel redecorated by Elphege Pippet of Hardmans, 1932-33. Re-ordered 1962, including removal of most chancel furnishings including rood beam, also many parclose screens from eastern chapels, the redecoration which encompassed painting out of all decoration continuing until 1975. Again re-ordered in 1993, including partial reinstatement of decorative work, new high altar at centre of crossing with Walters' tester suspended over it in crossing tower. Open daily.
Image: Brian Andrews
Former Convent of Mercy, College Street. Designed 1845, constructed 1845-48 by George Myers. Convent closed in 1999 and subsequently converted into apartments.
St Lawrence's Church, on A420 about 500 metres north of village. Designed 1844, constructed 1844-45 by George Myers. Small two-compartment church with western double bellcote, south porch and vestry against chancel north wall. Unaltered. Normally closed.
Alton Castle, situated on Alton Rock on the consolidated remains of the medieval castle. Constructed 1843-52. Uses have included a residence, a convent and a preparatory school. At present, a youth retreat centre for the Archdiocese of Birmingham.
St Mary's Church, Kiddemore Green Road. Designed 1843, constructed 1843-44 by George Myers. Aisled nave with separately expressed chancel, central western tower and spire, south porch and sacristy against chancel north wall east end. A squint between south aisle north east corner and chancel south wall. Unaltered.
St Giles' Church, Bank Street facing Cross Street. Initial design of 1840 progressively modified during construction between 1841 and 1846. Builder: George Myers. Aisled church with central west tower and spire, north and south porches, eastern chapels and separately expressed chancel. Comprehensively furnished for the English late medieval Sarum Use liturgy, including sedilia and Easter sepulchre. Unaltered. Rood screen intact and in situ. Open daily.
Image: Brian Andrews
St Anne's Chapel,Newcastle Street. Designed 1843 as a school-chapel, constructed 1843-44 by George Myers. Small simple two-compartment building, originally with hinged doors across chancel arch which could be closed when the nave was used as a school room.
Image: Brian andrews
St Augustine of England's Church, Beehive Hill. Designed 1841, constructed 1841-2 by George Myers. Small two-compartment church with south porch, bellcote on nave east gable and sacristy against chancel south wall. Enlarged in 1851-2 from plans by Gilbert Blount, the alterations consisting of western extension of nave with new windows flanking the facade statue and niche, north aisle (requiring demolition of Pugin's nave north wall to make way for a 4-bay arcade between nave and north aisle) and second sacristy against north aisle east end.
St Marie's Church, Dunchurch Road. Designed 1845-46, constructed 1847 by George Myers. Small church with north aisle, saddle-back tower against nave west front, separately expressed chancel, north porch and sacristy against chancel north wall. Substantially enlarged in 1864 from 1863 plans by Edward Welby Pugin. Pugin's north aisle and sacristy demolished, a new nave with north aisle and apsidal chancel constructed against the original nave and chancel. New sacristies to the north east and Pugin's original north porch moved against new north aisle. Further additions in 1871-72 by Bernard Whelan comprising a one bay western extension to nave, north west baptistery and a very tall central west tower and spire. Open Mondays.
Oscott College, Erdington Lodge, North Chester Road. Designed c.1840, constructed 1841. Unaltered, except that the doors were moved to the outer arch in the 1860s because local residents objected to vagrants gathering there.
Oscott College, Sutton lodge, cnr College Road and North Chester Road. Designed c.1840, constructed 1841. Unaltered, except that the doors were moved to the outer arch in the 1860s because local residents objected to vagrants gathering there.
St Chad's Cathedral, St Chad's Queensway. Designed 1839, constructed 1839-41 by George Myers. Large cruciform church with aisled nave having both the nave and aisles under one roof, apsidal chancel, crypt, sacristies against chancel south wall, baptistery abutting north aisle and twin western spires. Apsidal St Edward's chapel by Sebastian Pugin Powell constructed in 1933 against north aisle west end. Large rood screen removed during the 1967-8 re-ordering of the interior by architects Weightman & Bullen. Partial reinstatement of original furnishings and wall decoration ongoing since the 1980s. Open daily.
Image: Brian Andrews
Our Blessed Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury's Church, cnr Trindle Road (B4171) and St Joseph Street. Designed 1839, constructed 1839-40. Large aisled and clerestoried church with north-east chapel and separately expressed chancel. Original south-east sacristy converted into chapel and western bellcote removed. Flat-roofed extensions dating from the 1960s to the west north and south faces.
St Osmund's Church, Exeter Street. Designed 1847, constructed 1847-48. Small church with south aisle, spire against aisle west front, separately expressed chancel, Lady chapel at east end of south aisle and sacristy east of Lady chapel with organ gallery above it. North aisle added to 1894 plans by E. Doran Webb. Rood screen demolished.